Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sorry, can't work today, running

I've discovered what may be the downfall of my training: work.  Being a hospitalist my hours are varied, having day, evening, and night shifts.  I seem to mostly work evening shifts, and I'm completely fine with this.  I am not a morning person.  I prefer sleeping in a bit, working in the afternoon, and then going to bed after midnight.  True, this schedule does not fit in well with having a 17 month-old and a wife, but I make it work best we can.

As I am finding out, working the evening shifts also works better for my running schedule.  Running before work = awesome.  Running after work = sucks.  I've been on day shifts this week, and after waking up early, sitting in traffic getting to work, running around the ER for 8 hours w/o stopping to eat/drink/urinate, then sitting in traffic on the way home from work, I've found my legs have been less than ready for a good run.  I set out for a three mile run on Tuesday and after 2 miles my legs just wouldn't go any further.  I wanted to make up for the loss of mileage and so I ran 5 yesterday rather than 4, but my pace was horrendous.  11:30/mile?  Really?

I'll have to push through best I can, but this is just the pre-training running.  I'm envisioning a long day of work and then having to come home and run 8-10 miles and my heart sinks a bit.  I'll probably end up having to wake up extra early and running before work, and the thought of that makes me die a bit inside.  I repeat, I am not a morning person.

On a side note, according to my records, I ran 63.9 miles last month!  That is 20 more miles than I did in April.  I'm on a regimen of 3/4/3/6 until my training officially starts on 6/20 (which technically begins at 3/3/3/6) - so I should hit around 70-75 miles for June.

-Doc

Next topic: Running with friends

1 comment:

BrianFlash said...

I don't envy your schedule at all. I like standard hours five days a week. Way to stay after the training-it won't be easy but I think your strategy of runs before work is key. Also, schedule those long runs on off days!