Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Catch up!

Wow, two blog posts in and I'm already slacking big time... 2 weeks since last post, for shame!  A lot has happened since last post, so allow me to catch you up to speed.

At the end of my last post I was trying to decide whether or not to run an impromptu 5k, and ultimately I decided there was no reason not to.  I highly recommend that anyone who wants to run or walk a 5k, to check out Karen for a Kause in St. Charles.  It was very well put together, and had a great turn out.  I met up with my old vintage base ball buddy Flash (http://www.runningteamflash/) and his wife.  They are both avid runners, running this 5k after running a marathon the weekend before (Kathy did the half).  Performance wise was less than ideal - I finished just under 30 minutes.  I think I started too quickly and was tired even before the 1 mile mark (never a good sign when you see the one mile mark and say out loud, "Its only been one mile?!?")  Ultimately I found my stride, and it turned out a decent run.

Kathy, Flash, and I
Since then, my running has continued in a somewhat maintainance phase.  Typically between 3 and 4 miles 4 times per week.  I've started encorporating long runs on the weekend, and my first 5 mile run went great.

Last week Susan and I took the train up to Chicago and had a mini-vacation (2 days) before we helped our friends Brian and Melanie move back to St. Louis.  We walked/ran around a good portion of Chicago and had a great time.  Then I had to carry boxes down 3 flights of stairs about 100 times.  That was not so fun.  Note to self: when your legs are so tired and sore that you can barely move them, don't try to run 5 miles.  Ouch.

Other than that, same old, same old.  I had gotten my hopes up to run the Chicago half-marathon in September as a training run for my full, but it is already full.  Susan and I were invited to join a group running the bourbon chase, an overnight 100 mile run split between 12 team members. (http://kybourbontrail.com/index.php/events/2011_bourbon_chase/) Sounds fun, so we may set some time aside for that.  Mistake?  Probably.

-Doc

No comments: