Saturday, April 30, 2011

First!

     I couldn't tell you exactly why I'm starting a blog about running.  Likely a motivational ploy.  Writing this is mostly inspired by my old friend Brian and his blog (http://www.runningteamflash/), as well as the several running blogs I found from his.  I doubt anyone will actually read this, so essentially I'm talking to myself.  Well, blogging to myself, though that doesn't make it sound any better.

     As a first blog entry, this is obliged to be relatively introductory.  So, allow me to divulge what the hell is going on here.  For 27 years of my life, I was not a runner.  I was pretty much the opposite of a runner.  I was a sitter.  In gym class in high school, I don't think I could even run 1/2 mile without walking.  For the timed mile, I think I got in the 19-20 minute range.  Pathetic, I know.

     In college, it wasn't much better.  It wasn't until the beginning of medical school that I started actually doing any form of regular physical exercise.  My friends Ed, Aaron, and I would go to the gym on a fairly regular basis and do some running and weight training.  It was around then that I ran my first full mile.  Then two.  I maxed out at three, but my pace was slightly above a speed walk.  It was an improvement, but I still wouldn't consider myself a runner.

     My wife and I moved to Columbus, OH in 2007 for my residency in Pediatrics.  In 2008, one of my wife's work friends and her decided to run in the Columbus half marathon.  I thought the idea was ridiculous.  My wife, though on the high school track team (1 year, I think), was just as much of a runner as I was.  The fact that I thought the idea was ridiculous only helped motivate her.  Of course, if she could do it, so could I.  Thus began our training.  My wife's friend ended up backing out, but my wife and I both completed the half marathon.  We took some time off, but had enjoyed the training so much we decided to do another half marathon the next spring, this time in Cincinnati (Flying Pig Half).  Training in the winter we found was much harder.  All in all, I felt much less prepared, but did slightly better time wise on a much more difficult course.

     Little did we know it, but my wife was actually a few weeks pregnant when we ran the Flying Pig.   Without a training partner and with an unfriendly schedule over the summer, my running habits went by the wayside.  Add to that my daughter born in January 2010, and I fell back into old habits: sitting.

     We moved back to St. Louis in July of 2010, after I finished my residency and joined a group of hospitalists at Washington University School of Medicine.  Now, with my daughter older, a nicer schedule, and new jogging stroller (long story, but I broke the old one before we could use it), I started running again a little over a month ago.  My goal was to run in the St. Louis Rock and Roll Half Marathon on October 23rd.  My wife threw a wrench in this plan by stating she was going to run the full marathon, thanks to a very friendly 24 week training program she found on http://www.marathonrookie.com/.  Again, if she can do it, so can I.  Currently, I am building up my distance and working on my pace, running 3-4 miles about 4 times per week.  In June I will start my own modified 18 week training program, and hopefully will tackle my first marathon this fall.

-Doc

No comments: